Cleanliness is Next to Godliness
When they taught me- Cleanliness is next to Godliness, I took the lesson tad too seriously. The principle became a rule of my life and before PM Modi started his "Swach Bharat Andolan', I had my own cleanliness drive that beckoned me from Nagpur to Chennai to Kolkata to Delhi. I have lived in different cities and travelled even more of them. Amongst all the places that I visited in India, Chandigarh is one of my hot favourite and Agra ranks lowest in the list for the obvious reason.
Am I being caustic or sarcastic? Oh, good lord no. All I am emphasising is the importance of cleanliness in our lives, including the globe we live in.
We are a selfish Human brigade
We human though are the superior of most species, we are the most selfish of all of them. Why? We need to see beyond ourselves, our personal hygiene and space. We need to look after the environment in totality. The earth we live in, the atmosphere we breathe in and the water that sustains our lives. We need to be little more sensitive towards Mother Nature and should not forget the preventive and precautionary actions of nature.
We need to more alive, inclusive and respectful towards the environment. trust me it does not require mammoth efforts but simple, small steps that we can incorporate in our day to day lives.
What are those steps?
Charity begins at home and cleanliness begins from the neighbourhood. Hence, it is imperative to not just keep your house but also your vicinity, your city, your roads, your rivers and sea clean. How? Here's how-
1) Avoid littering the streets / roads or public places: Oh you grabbed that delicious Vada Pav on your way to the work and ate to your foodgasm delight. You ate every bit of it except the paper/ plastic it came wrapped in. It is very simple and convenient to throw it out the window, on the road/ railway track though. I am sure if you hold back on your litter thrust and secure that waste with you till you locate the nearest bin and then throw inside it, you will feel a greater sense of satisfaction.
2) Spit NO hit: You might be shooting champion but that wall is not your target and betel juices are no substitute for bows and arrows. Consuming that Paan, Tobacco was your personal choice, why colour the walls, streets or stairs with it? Leave your marks in the world with greater deeds and spits don't get counted in that.
3) Go Best with Your Waste: Food, disposables, napkins, diapers extra are your waste. Be thankful that there are people who volunteer for the public cleaning/ sweeping/ waste disposal job. extend your courtesy/ gratitude to them by being mindful about your waste. Stop dumping them in nearby drains or leaving unwrapped. Wrap your sanitary napkins, old bandages in proper sheets and paper before handing over that poor rag picking child. Just imagine yourself/ your child doing that job and that trick will work wonders.
4) Be thoughtful to what you dump in water bodies: Your water supplies come from rivers, lakes and sea depending upon the available resources and resource management skills of government bodies. You are going to drink, eat, bathe that water and you owe to water bodies to supply you with it. So, you need to equate your love for the God that worship/ ritual that you follow by showing a basic respect towards the water bodies. I am sure, God will love you for this.
5) Tree the World: Deforestation is a big issue. If you cut one tree, you should aim to successfully plant 5 more at least. Plant trees on soil/ land/ reality and not papers. A lot of mining and other projects in India, are developed on land by chopping forests and trees in mass numbers. No matter what the barter policy of planting new trees suggest, a lot of businesses including Government bodies do not abide by the law. If you take planting trees as a moral responsibility, I am sure you will achieve a sense of Godliness in your own way. Trees keeps the air clean, fresh and aides in climate control and preventing soil erosion.
So, this Ganesh Chaturthi, pledge to bring more cleanliness, more greenery cause there is Godliness in greenery.
Ganapati Bappa Morya!
Come September, Happy September!
If there is one song that has always been my hot favourite, it is- Raindrops falling on my head from the soundtrack "Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid".
I totally loved that number and it has the power to uplift your mood, at any time, any age.
Do not know what am talking about? Well, read this-
BJ Thomas, you did it, even after 6 retakes This is a cult classic and I often wonder, why don't they make such songs anymore?
About the movie "Come September" : If you love watching a classic, do try this romantic comedy starring Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Sandra Dee. It revolves around the Robert Talbot who owns
an Italian Villa where he spends his summer with his mistress. How one summer he arrives early for his vacation
and finds not one but three different problems waiting in tow for him. It is also a story on older gen vs younger
generation at a beautiful Italian Summer Villa.
Come September was the first movie to be shown on transcontinental and intercontinental flights.
Here's some interesting dialogue/quotes from the movie-
Robert L. Talbot: You're not making any sense!
Lisa Helena Fellini: I don't *have* to make sense! I'm *Italian*!
Anna: An old love is like an empty bottle of champagne: you don't refill it, you get a new bottle.
Lisa Helena Fellini: Anna, do you know what it means to be happy?
Anna: Yes, of course.
Lisa Helena Fellini: But I mean really happy.
Anna: But that kind of happy only gets you in trouble.
Tony: Medicine's a fascinating field. That's why a woman like Lisa so interesting.
Tony: There are 206 bones in the human body. I've never seen them that well arranged before.
Well, there are more interesting, tongue in cheek dialogues. Suggest, if you have not already seen this movie, go ahead and watch it. If you have seen it already, treat yourself again on this lovely rom-com fare.
So, let's start September on a good note and with a great movie/song recommendation. Let's make most of this lovely beautiful month. If you have any lovely soundtrack/movie to share, do that here. My comment box awaits you :)
Happy September, Everyone :)
Follow Me On twitter
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
A tryst to find a niche` for my words, the raison` de atre of thoughts & off course some entertainment!!!
- Shoppers Stop & Men's Clothing- Perfect Festive look
- “The dubious case of Shiney Ahuja”- Story of a hero who raped his way to jail
- Domestic Violence
- मेरी श्रद्धांजलि - बापू
- Of National Award, Akshay Kumar & Other Deserving Actors
- A for April Fool 2013
- Celebrate Cricket, celebrate IPL with VIVO limited edition V5 plus
- ▼ 2016 (53)
- ► 2015 (65)
- ► 2014 (105)
- ► 2013 (139)
- ► 2012 (64)
- ► 2009 (61)